Thursday, June 20, 2013

Raspberry Pie

Yet another dessert I made last week! This is the last recipe, but one of the most special.  It's my husband's Grandma's recipe for raspberry pie.  I've taken a few liberties with her original recipe, though.  I hope she'd approve!
First of all, I start with a pastry crust instead of a graham cracker crust.  Just a matter of preference... I think pastry crusts hold up better to make pretty slices :)



Here are the other two ingredients I've changed.  Truwhip is a 'healthier' (everything is relative), gluten-free version of CoolWhip. Michael's Grandma had raspberry bushes from which she (or Michael) would pick fresh berries for her pies.  I don't have the same luxury, so I use frozen.  Just make sure to thaw them before folding them into the filling. The best part of using the frozen raspberries is that they make the pie a pretty pink color... my husband doesn't appreciate this marvel as much as I do...

Here is my/her recipe:

Ingredients:
1 prepared pie crust (pastry or graham cracker)
1 bag of small marshmallows (her recipe calls for 30 large ones, but I think the little ones melt easier)
1/2 Cup milk 
2+ Cups fresh (or frozen and thawed) raspberries
1 tub of Truwhip (or Cool Whip if you must) thawed

Melt the marshmallows with the milk over a double boiler....




This can take a little time, but again, the process is helped along by using the little marshmallows.

Keep stirring....


Oh thank goodness, my arm was cramping (just kidding... maybe)... 

Allow the melted marshmallows to cool.

Fold the Truwhip and marshmallows together. 
Fold in the thawed (if a lot of liquid comes from the berries, drain them a little) raspberries.



Pour the filling mixture into the baked pie crust.  Refrigerate for a few hours before serving cold.



Yummy!!





No comments:

Post a Comment