Sunday, June 9, 2013

Glazed Summer Sausage

This is my go-to recipe for when my husband gets together with his friends, and last night (remember, the one where I made my awesome pasta salad?... I should really work on being less humble) was no exception.  It is so incredibly easy to make, but first I must clarify something.

For this recipe, you can use a summer sausage or a salami.  I've discovered that they are basically the same thing, but you don't want either of them if they are very 'hard' in description or texture.  They won't bake well and become all caramelized and delicious.  Hebrew National makes a good salami that I found at Trader Joe's when we were living in Bethesda.  Again, the important quality of the salami or summer sausage is that it isn't hard or dry. 


Preheat the oven to 325 degrees.

Slice the salami/summer sausage three-quarters of the way through. Each slice should be between an eighth to a quarter of an inch thick, depending on your preference.  I probably go with about a sixth of an inch slices most of the time.

Place the sliced salami/summer sausage on a foil lined baking sheet with raised edges (so the glaze doesn't spill over).

The Glaze:
1 Cup apricot jam
1/3 Cup dijon mustard
1/3 Cup brown sugar

Stir the three ingredients together. Carefully spoon the glaze over the salami/summer sausage, using your fingers to get it in between each slice.

Bake for 1 hour.  If you have time, you can baste the salami/summer sausage every twenty minutes while it's in the oven.  Allow to cool before serving with water crackers and cheddar cheese.

1 comment:

  1. Do you peel the sausage before glazing and baking?

    ReplyDelete