Monday, February 4, 2013

Tham Rab Thai Date Night


My husband and I decided to have a date night on Saturday. Date night-in is our favorite, so we decided to give it a try in the motel.  

First stop was earlier in the day to get a bottle of wine.  I have already lamented the limited selection in Killeen (read about it here), but we were delightfully surprised by the selection at Specs, a Texas chain of liquor and gourmet foods stores. We picked up a bottle of yummy Catena chardonnay (warning, it must be pronounced "Cat-ay-n-yah" or you will be chastised). and Killka malbec. Both are Argentine wines, reasonably priced (plus Spec's gives a 5% discount for all purchases paid for in cash, by check or by credit card!), and delish :) Happy girl moment, number one.  




Later in the evening, we decided that we would get take-out from a Thai restaurant that was recommended by Michael's clerkship site director and my parents (they did some research on area restaurants as part of a Christmas gift for us, but have never actually been to Killeen).  Site-unseen, we called the restaurant and ordered dinner.  This is what we saw when we arrived to pick-up our meal.  I was a little wary... and once we got inside, even more so.  Lets just say the atmosphere was a little lacking, and I patted myself on the back for deciding to give 'date night-in' a go.



I had spicy pad thai with chicken.  I didn't take a picture of my meal because as soon as we got it back to the motel I wanted to dive in. Literally.  Have I mentioned that Thai food is my favorite thing? Even though it was so spicy that it physically hurt, I enjoyed every bite!! Oh my goodness sooooo good.... Happy girl moment, number two.  Michael got "mild" red curry with pineapple and shrimp.  This was my suggestion, and he would have really liked it if it had been American mild.  It wasn't nearly as spicy as my delicious on-fire pad thai, but enough to clear the sinuses.

Just in case you were wondering if there was a happy girl moment, number three, there was :)  Post incredibly-spicy-Thai-food coma, we enjoyed a glass of that Catena chardonnay, and watched a movie on tv.  I don't even know what movie it was, but I was so happy and content to spend time with my husband that I didn't care :)


1 comment:

  1. I LOL over the Catena comment....(insert here ME saying it with a really bad accent).

    ReplyDelete