Friday, February 1, 2013

Crock Pot Ribs

Holy cow! Some of the best ribs I've ever had came out of my crock pot tonight... or rather off of the community grill here at the motel... but I am still attributing the yummy-ness to my occasionally-beloved crock pot :)


The two wooden spoons were the 'tongs' we used to transfer the ribs on and off the grill.  Obviously, we really believe in innovation here at Adventures in Somewhere... ironing board counter tops, beds for dining room tables, etc.  It's not what you have, it's what you make of it!

Alright, I'll go ahead and tell y'all how I made them, now.

Ingredients:

2 bottles of Shiner Bock
18 oz. Barbecue Sauce (I used Sweet Baby Ray's Original, but whatever you like is fine)
Unsalted broth (chicken or beef broth would be fine)
4 half racks of baby-back ribs (I realize that this equals two full racks, but at the commissary they only sold them in half racks.  Which is just as well because full racks won't fit in a crock pot.)
Barbecue Sauce for basting

Remove the membrane from the back of the ribs. Absolutely necessary.  Here is what I'm talking about:




Pour the two beers and the bottle of barbecue sauce into the crock pot. Stir.
Place the prepared 1/2 racks into the beer/sauce mixture, meat side down.  
If the ribs aren't covered, add some broth.  I probably added less than 1/2 cup of broth.
Cook on low for 4 1/2 hours.
Remove the ribs from liquid and transfer to a 400 degree grill.
Baste on one side with BBQ sauce, shut grill for 5 minutes.
Flip ribs, baste with sauce, shut grill for 5 minutes.
Repeat this process until the ribs are sauced/charred to your liking.  
We had the ribs on the grill for about 15 minutes total.


I served the ribs with corn and mashed potatoes.  How did I manage to make mashed potatoes?


These! Potatoes you can make in the microwave that aren't full of sodium and preservatives! They aren't as good as my homemade kind, of course (I'll share that recipe at some point), but I think that these will be our go-to for potatoes until we have a real kitchen again!

Enjoy, y'all!








2 comments:

  1. WOW! Sounds yummy! So many good ideas on this "adventure" lol....

    ReplyDelete
  2. Looks great! (Donna's name popped up, but it is Uncle Doug)

    ReplyDelete