Friday, May 31, 2013

Bourbon Glazed Salmon

I have taken full advantage of having my mother's kitchen nearby.  "Full advantage" meaning that I've cooked four meals there in the past three weeks, but that's only because we've been lucky enough to go out to restaurants, head down to Florida for a couple of days, and have some suppers that my mama fixed.  I think I've justified my behavior enough now, right?

This morning (because that's when I have free time over at my parent's home) I baked a beautiful wild caught sockeye copper river salmon filet. This (superior) type of salmon can be hard to find, so when I saw the huge fillets at Costco of all places, I got super excited.

Here is an approximated version of my marinade/glaze (makes enough for 2 large salmon fillets):

-2 Tbs grated fresh ginger (or you can buy this wonderful product that comes in a tube and makes life easy)
-8 Cloves fresh garlic, minced
-1 Tbs vegetable oil
-2 Tbs honey
-2 Tbs hosin sauce
-2/3 Cup low-sodium soy sauce
-1/3 Cup water
-1 Cup bourbon (I usually use Jim Beam)
-1/2 Cup of brown sugar, packed
-Sriracha to taste (I use about 2 tsp)
-1 Tbs lime juice
-2 Tbs sesame oil
-8 Green onions finely chopped

Saute the ginger and garlic in the vegetable oil over medium heat in a sauce pot for a minute or so.  Then add all ingredients except for the sesame oil and the green onions. Turn up the heat to medium-high and bring the mixture to a bubble for at least 5 minutes or until it begins to thicken.  Taste to make sure its to your liking (sweetness, saltiness, etc), and adjust as necessary.  Turn off the heat and add the onions and sesame oil. Pour the glaze into a bowl to cool.

After the glaze has cooled-1) Place salmon fillets in a large plastic zipper bag and pour the glaze over them to marinate for a few hours... this is a delicious idea if you have the time, but ultimately, not necessary. 2) Place the fillets on a foil lined baking sheet with raised sides, pour the glaze over them, and bake at 420 degrees for 15 minutes or until the fish flakes (this is dependent on how thick your fillets are). 3) Remove from oven and allow to rest for a minimum of five minutes... as you wait, you can baste the fillets with the glaze that has pooled in the pan.

This is the final product:


*Note* you can use whichever type of salmon you prefer in this dish, but just remember there really is a big difference between the varieties (Sockeye vs. Atlantic, farmed vs. wild caught). Find something you like!


No comments:

Post a Comment